many lives were (and still are) affected by hurricane sandy this week and whether or not you live on the east coast, there are ways that you can help to aid in the relief efforts. i’ve seen articles suggesting non-profits, but few feature a comprehensive list.
updated as of november 2:
- city meals on wheels needs help delivering meals to the elderly without electricity. call (212) 687-1234 or check http://www.citymeals.org for more info.
- tribeca chabad is organizing groups to check on those without power downtown. call (212) 566-6764 and ask for chana or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- caav in chinatown is accepting donations and assistance at 46 hester street.
- ps1 curator klaus biesenbach is organizing relief efforts for the rockaways. simply stop by the museum to drop off donations or offer assistance.
- the brooklyn kitchen and pilgrim surf in williamsburg are both coordinating donation runs to the rockaways. you can drop off canned foods, heavy duty trash bags, clothes (large sizes preferred), and offer to help out.
- brooklyn tech high school in fort greene and the park slope armory are acting as refugee centers and need volunteers to assist those displaced from the rockaways (around 1,000 people so far). simply stop by and offer to help.
if there are any charities not on this list, feel free to add them in the comments.
note: if you are planning to give to a nonprofit, always verify that it is legitimate. charity evaluators like guidestar and charity navigator are good ways to check that the organization you’re donating to is established and will follow through with your donation.